Tuesday, August 31, 2010

A Helping Hand.


I was recently reminded how important it is to be active.
Active in your community. Active in service to others.

Achieving this is proving more difficult than I thought.
I want to involve my kids and show them their privilege and the joy of serving others.
I am not met with enthusiasm. Why is that?

I read a great article about how overwhelming the worlds tragedies are. How when we hear that people are affected in the hundreds of thousands by an earthquake or flood, we can't grasp the scale - so it doesn't touch us as deeply.
We are more likely to respond to a local story about one individual - because we can relate.
Makes sense but what of those people waiting and hoping for help?

I also listened to George Clooney's speech at The Emmy's. He talked about how we forget about a disaster after a few days or weeks and one donation.
It's understandable but not really OK.
Complacency is dangerous.

Words like disaster are used in every day language related to dropping a cup of coffee or forgetting to pick up laundry.
It becomes diluted.

I know that people are generous but writing a check and volunteering are such different experiences.
Children really need to be involved, to experience helping, to get enthusiastic about it.

We decided to organize a community garage sale. Each participant will donate a minimum of 25% of their takings to the charity/cause of their choice.
We also partnered with Soles4Souls.org to do a shoe drive for Haiti.

If I can motivate you to do one thing and you could motivate one friend to do one thing - think of all the good that would be done. All the smiles we'd generate. Globally or locally.
Just something to think about.

I'd love to hear about your ideas and efforts.

1 comment:

  1. Well you've made me stop and think...that's the first step, right?

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment.