Tuesday, March 17, 2009

'Happy' St. Patrick's Day!


I am very grumpy. The six year olds sympathy pains turned out to be stomach flu. Oh the guilt. (Anyone who wants to refer me to my own post about guilt, might want to re-read my first sentence.)
Combine that with the ten month olds erupting gums and you can imagine how sleepless I am.

I was feeling at my limit when one of the six year olds sweet little friends called to see how she was. They had a very cute conversation which made my kid much brighter until the friend asked a seemingly benign question.
"Have you made your Leprechaun house?"

For those of you who don't know - I am Scottish. Born and raised. This makes me a Celt. Kin to the Irish.
I have never made (or even heard of) a Leprechaun house.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not a party pooper. It's fun to wear green, drink green beer and I would never turn down a good plate of corn beef and cabbage. Celebrations make life more fun.

Except for when you didn't know about them. Except when it's 4pm the night before and you need to build and decorate a Leprechaun house, fill it with treats for the Leprechaun and then supply said Leprechaun with a treat to leave for your kid.
Except when you can't get to the shops because your kid is sick.
I've said it before - I'll say it again.
ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

Of course, because disappointing your child is one of the hardest things a parent's heart will ever have to bear.
A house was made, a treat was found and the clever little Leprechaun left something which delighted the six year old.
I just might need a few of those green beers to make it through the day.

Can someone clue me in on the next celebration now please.


p.s. For those of you with British mums. It's Mother's Day in the UK this coming Sunday.

2 comments:

  1. Next year put some green food coloring in the toilet bowl -- leprechaun pee! And tell you child the leprechauns only come if the house is perfectly clean... it irritates them :)

    Easter is next up, then Mother's Day in May...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I was in the store at 11pm looking for green gummy worms to put in shoes - those rascally leprechauns...

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment.