Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Enough About Me.


Is there anything more heart warming than watching your child in their element?

The seven year old is doing a class play this week.
I went to help at the dress rehearsal.
Several boxes of kleenex later....

She is a villager and a comet (!)

As the villager she is earnest. She does all the actions enthusiastically and sings with gusto.
Very cute.
Then she does a quick change to become a comet.

Suddenly she was so graceful and confident.
She was clearly feeling proud of her costume and swept across the stage with finesse and the biggest possible smile on her face.
When did she become this young lady? Able to pull off a costume change and portray two characters so seamlessly.

There is something so bittersweet about seeing your child this way.
Confident, self assured.
It's what I want for her, of course but it's just another reminder that she no longer needs me as much as she used to.

So there you have it - I went to watch my kid in her play and managed to turn it around to being about me and how I don't want her to grow up so quickly.
Where do I pick up my parenting Oscar?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment.