Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Out Of The Mouths Of Babes.


"Mummy upstairs napping" was the baby's first sentence.
A three word sentence is a big deal when you're 19 months old.
I should be proud, and I am, but I can't help feeling maligned.

I was much more likely upstairs changing the bed linens, or putting away toys.
It's possible I was taking an overdue shower. Napping? Fat chance!

I've known for a long time that I need to watch what I say around the kids but now they are coming out with whoppers all by themselves.

I've mentioned before that the husband and I have had to tone down the color of our language (with varying success.) Now I realize we need to assume that everything we say can and WILL be repeated.

"Is that the lady you said was rude mom?"
Is not going to make me any friends at the park.

The six year old seems determined to get me in trouble.
We opened some gifts on Christmas Day that I thought were inappropriate for the girls.
I would say that what I said was:
"Let's exchange these for something else."

So when we were with the gift giver why did the six year old say,
"Mom, why did you think her gift was junky?"

Junky?? I DID NOT say junky - did I?

There's no way back from this. I did my best to bluff my way out of it by suggesting the six year old was confusing gifts.
We all know that particular person has us crossed of her Christmas list.

I might start carrying a big roll of duct tape in my bag.
That way next time she starts asking about the 'baby hole' in a restaurant I have a solution.

Now I just need to get the baby to say things that are good for my PR.

11 comments:

  1. You had me howling with this! Why do kids do these things?
    Came over from SITS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL!! My 2 year old's favorite word these days is dammit! ;) It could be worse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh yeah man. i love it when they repeat what you say. even though you never said it.

    but the worse thing to come from my toddler's mouth comes in the form of the rhyming game. you know that game, don't you? it goes something like...

    li'l tot: toochie moochie hoochie coochie!
    me: don't say that word!
    li'l tot: coochie? cooooochie! coooooooooooochie! coochiecoochiecooochieeeeee!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My 20 month old won't speak, if asked to but will say Dada the moment she sees her Da.

    But when she does start speaking I'm so afraid of what is going to come out of her mouth. Fortunately we don't use words like coochie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just start saying "What a good mommy" under your breath all the time. That should do it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that kids are kids. I've had my share of embarrassing moments via my kids repeating something we said. YIKES

    ReplyDelete
  7. Duct tape in the diaper bag is a necessity!! I swear by it ;)

    ~WM

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh dear, what do I have to look forward to? My daughter is just starting to talk, and she's already showing early promise of strong vocab skills... I'm worried that I'll be running for cover before too long from her verbal arrows!

    ~Elizabeth
    Confessions From A Working Mom

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL, great post! I have a 2 and 4 yr old and they keep my laughing daily. Stopping in from SITS :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness. The term "baby hole" made me laugh out loud! In some ways I'm looking forward to the little one starting to talk, in some ways I'm like...arggghhh!

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment.