Friday, November 13, 2009

Rock On.


So I think we can all agree that parenting is a non stop freight train of crazy situations. My oldest child is six so I've been doing this for a while. I was feeling like I had seen and done most things related to raising a little one. Until today.

The Baby and I had run through our list of things to do in the house - read books, played with farm and blocks, had a bath, had some lunch (well thrown it around our clothes and the floor) and tried on every pair of shoes - including Daddy's.
The Baby was showing signs of boredom. You know those signs - baby runs to the front door and says "bye bye" over and over. Subtle I know, but I'm not so sleep deprived that I didn't get it after 15 minutes.

Problem is it wasn't time for us to go - we had a half hour to fill.
So, I decided to turn on some music so we could dance.
We have this nifty thing on our cable called Toddler Tunes. It's actually really odd - it has lots of obscure (unheard of) artists singing tuneless songs about distinctly un-childlike things BUT it's easy so I turned it on - motherhood sometimes makes me lazy.

The tune that was playing was by a group called Rock Babies. It was an instrumental version of U2's 'I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For.'
Take a moment to absorb that.

Firstly, why? The kids are sick of the ABC song and are demanding more complex musicality?

Secondly, what exactly is the baby looking for? Her favorite toy? A snack?
A parent who takes the time to put on a CD rather than cable music?

Maybe it's just me but it cracked me up. I love U2 and this was the worst thing I've ever heard done to a song - including elevator 'muzak.'

Thought I'd share.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment.