Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Penance.


Mental note: Do not incur wrath by poking fun at God.

At the risk of sounding like a stuck record, one word - guilt.
I know I have had a lot to say about it. I know I have preached about its pointlessness but I have it. I have it up to my ears. I can't shake it.

The six year old has an ear infection. She's had it for week but I dismissed her complaints as she has molars coming in. The consequence is that she woke up at 2am in agony. It took TWELVE hours for me to get that pain under control.
Twelve hours of moaning, crying, agitated six year old is more than any parent can bear.

It was a day to test the full range of my parenting skills - I feel that I scored a D+ at best.
I dragged that poor girl to the doctor, then the store, then the pharmacist - where we had to wait (of course.) It was here we all hit our limit. So, if you were in Longs yesterday and saw a kid with a blanket around her head - sobbing, a baby crying in frustration as she tried (in vain) to get out of her stroller and a mom with tears pouring down her face - that was us. As timing would have it - fear of swine flu had people looking at us in horror and giving us a three aisle wide berth. So much for community.

Lucky for us there are antibiotics, which I have mixed feelings about using, but in this case was happy to pour enthusiastically down the six year old's throat.
She's already feeling much better. The eleven month old celebrated the days madness by learning to climb the stairs....

6 comments:

  1. I give you an A+, my friend. It wouldn't have just been tears pouring down my face in the pharmacy, I would have been having an all-out arms-and-legs-thrashing tantrum right there in front of the world.

    Antibiotics are a wonder when they're really needed and follow our credo of "everything in moderation". So give yourself a pat on the back and take a nap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just tried to take a nap but the old mommy spirit level kicked in and the baby woke up approx. 3 secs after I closed my eyes.....
    Thanks for the love though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And to think I missed all the commotion as I drove right on by. Darn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Next time I'll call you so you can join us in the Longs fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You think you've got it hard. Try suffering from sciatica for 10 days, just managing to get upstairs without crying and then being punched in the back by a 3 year old wearing "Incredible Hulk" hands shouting "you won't like me when I'm angry"!
    I was tempted to turn green, burst out of my shirt and throw him through the nearest window but I restrained myself and just quietly sobbed from behind the shower curtain.
    PS If it makes you feel any better, I was tempted to grind up some of my horse pill pain relief into his Wee Willie Winkie sausages, so giving your daughter antibiotics is pretty low on the drug scale..!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aah Scotland - I miss it already!
    Lovely to see you here xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment.