Saturday, March 14, 2009

Stunt Baby


I'm wondering if kids take your casual, passing statements as a personal challenge?
I was on the phone with Grandma the other day chatting about our upcoming visit.
Grandma was concerned that their house is not childproofed. No problem, I say. The baby has just learned to crawl and really shows very little interest in going too far. She does not open cupboard doors and doesn't show any interest in the stairs.

Guess what? That very afternoon, the baby purposefully strides into the kitchen and starts opening every door there is.
Several finger trapping traumas later, I resolve to put those little baby proof, clip thingies on this weekend.

Later, that same day, I run upstairs to put some folded laundry on the six year old's bed. It's about a 30 second return trip.
We sometimes call the baby Imelda because of her love for shoes. She likes to sit in the hallway and pull out all our shoes for some building, throwing and chewing fun. As I head upstairs I make mental note that she is happily engrossed in her favorite shoe game. Laundry deposited I head back downstairs and there she is perched half way up the stairs. Just sitting on the eighth step with a big, self accomplished, grin on her face.

Now what? The relaxing, birthday party free, weekend I planned is evaporating before me. Now we will be outlet blocking, gate installing and generally baby fun stopping, all weekend.

Just imagine how much fun a ten hour flight will be with our newly adventurous one.....

1 comment:

  1. Halfway down the stairs is the stair where I sit, there isn't any other stair quite like it.
    I'm not at the bottom
    and I'm not at the top
    And this is the stair where I always stop.
    (A.A. Milne)

    I feel ya. Did you buy your stunt baby her own seat on the plane?

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment.