Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Madge and Me.


I remember reading about Madonna turning up at Music Together classes with Lourdes.
The Queen of Pop - best known for prancing around in her underwear and talking about sex - was sitting in a circle singing,
"Hello, to Grandma - so good to see you!"

I didn't have children then - the image was hilarious to me.
Sigh.
I am now that circle sitter.

I am now willing to make a complete fool of myself in public and private for the entertainment of my children.
I will skip down the high street.
I will sing the potty song whenever it's requested.
I will be a dog, cat, bear or crocodile at a moments notice.
I too, will sing nursery rhymes and the ABC song with gusto, in a room full of strangers.

What happens to us? Some of the situations I find myself in seem so far away from me that I hardly recognize myself.

I am not a shy person but I still would not choose to draw attention to myself in public.
Especially when I am sporting what some people call the mom uniform - sweats or yoga pants, hair in a pony tail, teeth unclean.

Before I had the girls I would watch my friends with their children. It amazed me that they would make such fools of
themselves for their kids. I made the (inevitably abandoned) vow that I would never do that.
Fast forward to me doing exactly the same thing.
Here's the thing - I don't care. I don't feel embarrassed. I only see the joy on my children's faces. It's all I need. No-one else matters.

Children - the perfect excuse to loosen up and leave your inhibitions at the door.

2 comments:

  1. I know! Isn't it SO FUNNY how kids change everything? Everything! I actually never was afraid to make a fool of myself before...so now? I'm sort of unstoppable! But I laugh at myself, and my kids laugh at me, and we're having fun, so that's what matters most!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How sweet! I guess I'll do the same when I become a parent!


    Camila F.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment.